The cost of care
The cost of long-term care can be expensive depending on:
- what type of care you need
- how long you need it
- where care is received
The national average costs listed below are only for one year of care.
The national average cost of long-term care for one year in various settings:4
In 30 years, long-term care is projected to cost over $286,000 per year. That’s $858,000 to $1,430,000 for a three-to five-year care event.9
Click here to find the average cost of care in your area.
- Based on John Hancock’s Cost of Care Survey, conducted by LifePlans, Inc., 2013.
- Costs rounded to the nearest dollar.
- Based on care received for six hours a day, five days a week.
- Based on care received five days a week.
- The 5-year average annual increases are based on a subset of common providers from our 2008 and 2011 Cost of Care surveys and our 2011 and 2013 Cost of Care surveys.
- Based on the John Hancock 2013 Cost of Care Survey and projected at the average rate of inflation of 4.2% as measured by the Consumer Price Index for the 50-year period ending December 31, 2012.